Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Short Story - Abomination, R. J. Creaney.

Abomination is the first tantalising tale from our newest Australian author, R. J. Creaney. Never heard of him? Shame on you. Unfortunately, being a short story, it is only available in the Kindle edition. But for those of you with a Mac, the Kindle application is easily downloadable. At the very least convince a friend to download it. It's also available on the PC, if you're interested.

Abomination is set in 9th century France where a warrior sets out to confront the abomination he has been chasing for many a year. It is a dark fantasy story with a twist. If you're a fan of necromancy and the rising dead, you'll love this story. I was strangely reminded of the game Diablo. The mood is dark and the landscape grey and uninviting.  Creaney writes with clarity and chooses his words carefully. However, I regret the points where the story both started and ended. To me, Abomination could have been a much larger tale. The characters are rich in detail and I could sense a whole backstory that never made it on to the page.

If you love your history, Creaney has you covered. He nails the essence of 9th century France, and I felt as if I was reading a piece of mythology from that time. I really have no criticisms. It could have been longer, a bit more fleshed out in terms of character development and exposition, but then I remind myself that I was reading a short story and not a novel. For those interested in sampling what could be the next big author, check out this link. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment